Reported that Thomas Ryan Hauser, 23, was found by roommates in his off-campus apartment Sunday morning. After Thomas and some friends had been barhopping, drinking beer and liquor from about 9 p.m. Saturday until about 2 a.m. Sunday, the friends carried him back from a bar and put him on his right side on the living room floor to let him sleep it off. When the friends attempted to wake Thomas the next morning, they found he had died.
Also reported that two other college students were hospitalized over the weekend for alcohol poisoning, but both recovered.
(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
By Tonia Moxley Top of page
The Roanoke Times
September 27, 2004
In the aftermath of Thomas Hauser's death, the reporter discusses alcohol use by students, the University's policies and sanctions, and the continued use and abuse of alcohol despite the tragedy. Included in the report was the statement that no Virginia Tech student had died of alcohol overdose since the early 1990s, according to Virginia Tech officials, but on average, local hospitals treat two students each weekend for alcohol overdose.
ACT NOW-Before Events Leave You With No Choice
Leave your comments on the CompelledToAct Blog
Concerned about the drinking culture on campuses?
This site provides information as to the seriousness of the problem.
In loving Memory of Kristine Guest